Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nearing Solstice

My apartment was suffused with light this morning. Evidently, there is something to be said for rising in the dark.

The steam is coming from the Lamont Street Lofts, which were originally the Arcade-Sunshine Company, a rare example of industry (laundry and dyeing) in the District.



And again, on the morning of the seventeenth. I got up early to bake some gingerbread (last day of classes before winter break) and was wide awake for the entire symphony. Milo in the Phantom Tollbooth never had it so good.

There is nothing like watching a series of sunrises or sunsets for developing a sense of place, but what with schedule and blocked horizons, it's rare to get an unobscured view of one in the metropolis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your photos. They clearly show your passion for geography. Where to next? China? India, perhaps?

Andrew Riely said...

Thanks! I'm hoping to do a trip to India and China two summers from now. As far as this summer, I have a couple ideas but need to work out a few preliminary details...

Anonymous said...

Your love of geography exhilarates me! I'm hoping to major in it when I go to college next year. Your blog inspired me to follow this dream. Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

these pictures are so beautiful! I love your blog! So inspiring!